Wednesday, May 6, 2009

What are you doing this summer?

I don't know about you - but summer for me is all about getting out in nature and enjoying the cool breezes and the sunshine. I enjoy being outside, although I have never been the rugged mountain climbing type, at least I have spent days at the pool as a kid or even better, at the beach.

My best memories as a kid were at summer camp. That is where I found some new friends, had some new experiences and learned to ride a horse. I loved arts & crafts and singing camp songs, especially with marshmallows at a campfire.

Now as a teacher, and as an adult who enjoys hanging around kids of all ages - I have helped in various Vacation Bible Schools during the summer, summer school programs for private and Christian schools...and every year, enjoy visiting my nieces and sister in small town Kansas during their 4th of July festivities. We get to go to the carnival and the turtle races, and on the night of the 4th, their "Idol" competition, followed by the fireworks over the lake.

This summer I am looking forward to a new adventure - I am working with the non-profit Star Foundation in Durham, NC, and as Education Coordinator, I am helping to provide a great camp experience for a lot of inner city kids that would otherwise never get to do these things that I did as a kid. I love working with the others on our staff that really have a heart for these kids, and am looking forward to giving these kids an experience that they will never forget.

We will be providing a full day camp for 10 weeks from June 15 - August 21 - we hope to serve 100 kids from 4-14 in the Raleigh/Durham area, and even provide mentoring opportunities for older kids as well, so they can get an idea of what is out there for them as they turn into young adults. We have, in the past, had therapeutic horseriding activities, lots of outdoor experiences and local field trips, as well as "go green" activities, to help them value our planet and conserve, use a refillable water bottle instead of plastic, plant a garden and maybe even some vegetables, and watch them grow. Kids LOVE nature and science, learning how things work and love to have pets to take care of and nurture.

We are looking for volunteers and donors for the summer camp, and doing a Fun in the Sun Community Festival on May 23 from 1-7 pm at Zafa Temple in Durham, to raise awareness in the community about what we do, to give kids a day of fun with a bounce house, clown and face painting, games and other fun activities.

We are also giving vendors a chance to come out and promote their businesses to raise funds for the summer camp, so if you want to spend the afternoon with us - just contact Ms Joyce at http://star-foundation.org and tell her you want to help a kid go to summer camp!

No comments:

Post a Comment